Monday, January 7, 2013

McKenna's 12th Birthday

12 years goes by fast. I can't really believe it.

12 years ago today, my life changed. A LOT. I became a Daddy for the very first time. I was excited, terrified, and overjoyed, all at the same time. I remember the pride, the joy, the lack of sleep, and the love…all like it was yesterday. You were so small, and I was so new at being a parent. Seemed unfair to you to have me as your Daddy – I had no idea what to do! I remember holding you for the first time, crying like a baby myself. I remember how I felt…like I had never seen anything so perfect in my whole life. And I remember pulling into our driveway with you for the first time on that freezing cold, rainy January day and seeing ONE perfect pink rose bloomed out on the rosebushes that ran all the way down the side fence. There must have been 8 or 10 rose bushes…they were all dormant as can be – middle of winter. But there was that ONE big beautiful pink rose that day we brought you home. If that wasn’t a sign, I don’t know what would have been.

In the 12 years since, you, little girl, have amazed me to no end. And now, you’re not so little anymore. McKenna Elizabeth, you have turned into a beautiful young lady. You are amazing. Some of the words that come to mind when I think of you are: God-fearing, beautiful, smart, kind, caring, responsible, athletic, wise, motivated, nurturing, respectful, fun-loving, determined, funny, mature, and outstanding! You make me so proud and I love you SO much! I am blessed beyond words to be your Daddy.

The times we have shared over the years mean the world to me and I’m excited for you and what is to come in your life. I know it will be amazing, just like you. I will always be here for you. Always in your corner. Rain or shine, good times, or tough.
Happy 12th Birthday, McKenna. May God bless you in this year of your life, and in each year to come. Thank you for being amazing and for being my baby girl. I’m so proud of you.

Love always, Daddy. xoxo

How can it be? Where did the time go? All I ever wanted was to be a mom, and she made that dream come true. Her daddy said it best in his post today. She is an amazing daughter and I am enjoying her in this stage of life more than I ever thought I would. I cherish the friendship that is developing between the two of us and I really enjoy her company. She is so smart, thoughtful, funny, hardworking, and beautiful. She challenges me to be a better person. She is an amazing big sister, daughter, and friend. I am more sad now, not about the time that has passed, but about the little time we have ahead before she (might) venture out into this world on her own. Happy birthday to one of my favorite daughters! You're going to move mountains!
 
 
So thankful to be able to celebrate McKenna's 12th birthday today.  What a gift she is to our entire family and everyone she comes in contact with! 





No comments:

Post a Comment